In January 2013 Losang Dragpa Kadampa became an authorised provider of Special Religious Education classes (SRE) in NSW primary Schools.
We have developed an extensive curriculum which covers a number of fundamental Buddhist topics/subjects. Please click here to view the curriculum.
If you would like more information re: SRE classes or you would like to request a Buddhist SRE teacher/class at your childrens School, please contact the Centre.
Special Religious Education (SRE) class curriculum.
Basic structure of each class
Each class is designed to be self contained and is given in the context of a course ie Inner peace.
Each 30min class will consist of…
1) A brief guided breathing meditation, approximately 2mins.
2) A sung prayer to Buddha Shakyamuni (the liberating prayer) approximately 4mins
3) A brief recap/discussion re: the previous weeks class, feedback from students is encouraged, approximately 5mins.
4) A short teaching on the current weeks topic, approximately 10mins.
5) A brief meditation on the topic 3mins.
The general structure will be the same for each class, however depending on the age of the children the presentation of the topic may vary ie practical activity vs a more formal teaching.
The final week of each course will be a general recap of that particular course.
Reference books for courses
- What is Meditation? children’s book (WIM)
- The Story of Angulimala, children’s book (TSOA)
- The Story of Buddha, children’s book (TSOB)
- What is Buddhism? children’s book (WIB)
- Transform Your Life (TYL)
- Introduction to Buddhism (ITB)
- Joyful Path of Good Fortune (JPOGF)
- How to Solve our Human Problems (HTSOHP)
- Eight Steps to Happiness (ESTH)
All reference books are written by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche and are all derived from the New Kadampa Mahayana Buddhist Tradition.
Inner peace (based on ‘inner peace’ in ‘Transform your life’)
- Week 1 – The causes of happiness; where does happiness come from?
- Week 2 – What obstructs happiness; delusions
- Week 3 – What thoughts make our mind peaceful eg love
- Week 4 – What thoughts make our mind unhappy eg anger
- Week 5 – General recap of entire course leading to generating a strong wish to always keep a peaceful mind.
The story of Buddha (based on ‘The Story of Buddha’ children’s book)
- Week 1 – Learning how to be more compassionate (pg 1 – 10) starting from ‘Buddha was born….’
- Week 2 – Wishing to become more helpful (pg 11 – 16)
- Week 3 – How to become more helpful (pg 17 – 22) starting from ‘Siddhartha then went….’
- Week 4 – Generating faith in Buddha (pg 23 – 27)
- Week 5 – General recap of entire course leading to generating a strong wish to become a better person just like Buddha
Self esteem (based on ‘8 steps to be happiness’ and ‘The story of Angulimala’ children’s book)
- Week 1 – What is self esteem?
- Week 2 – What we base our self esteem on and the effect of that.
- Week 3 – Our Buddha nature, basing our self esteem on it and the effect of that.
- Week 4 – Recognizing the Buddha nature in others; the way to feel good about others
- Week 5 – General recap of entire course encouraging the children to always relate to their potential for good qualities and base their self esteem on that.
The 6 perfections (based on ‘Joyful Path of Good Fortune’ and ‘Introduction to Buddhism’)
- Giving – wk 1
- Giving – wk 2
- Giving – wk 3
- Giving – wk 4
- Moral discipline – wk 1
- Moral discipline – wk 2
- Moral discipline – wk 3
- Patience – wk 1
- Patience – wk 2
- Patience – wk 3
- Effort – wk 1
- Effort – wk 2
- Effort – wk 3
- Effort – wk 4
- Concentration – wk 1
- Concentration – wk 2
- Concentration – wk 3
- Wisdom – wk 1
- Wisdom – wk 2
- The final week, a very practical recap on the 6 perfections encouraging the children to live by the 6 perfection to the best of their ability.
What is Buddhism (based on ‘What is Buddhism’ children’s book and ‘Introduction to Buddhism’)
- Week 1 – Introduction, what is Buddhism? WIB
- Week 2 – The meaning of life TYL
- Week 3 – Precious human life/Impermanence ITB
- Week 4 – Refuge, ITB
- Week 5 – Karma, ITB
- Week 6 – Outer/inner problems wk 1 (pg 7 – 15) WIB
- Week 7 – Outer/inner problems wk 2 (pg 7 – 15) WIB
- Week 8 – Understanding the mind (pg 15 – 19) WIB
- Week 9 – Rebirth (pg 19 – 20) WIB
- Week 10 – General recap of entire course encouraging the children to solve their inner problems through Buddha’s teachings for example solve anger problem with the Dharma of patience.
The Eight Auspicious Symbols (based on illustrations in ‘What is Buddhism’ children’s book)
- Week 1 – The precious umbrella (refuge)
- Week 2 – The precious fish (maintaining harmonious relationships)
- Week 3 – The precious vase (wisdom and compassion)
- Week 4 – The precious lotus (temporary happiness vs real happiness)
- Week 5 – The precious conch (the 3 wisdoms)
- Week 6 – The precious indestructible knot (effort)
- Week 7 – The precious victory banner (mindfulness, alertness, conscientiousness)
- Week 8 – The precious wheel of Dharma (benefitting others with Dharma)
The four noble truths/overcoming anger (based on ‘How to solve our human problems’)
- Week 1 – true sufferings
- Week 2 – true origins
- Week 3 – true cessations
- Week 4 – true paths
- Week 5 – A general recap of the entire course encouraging the children to solve their daily problems in conjunction with the four noble truths.
What is meditation? (based on ‘What is Meditation?’ and ‘The life of Buddha’ children’s books)
- Week 1 – What is meditation? WIM
- Week 2 – Renunciation/what is samsara? wk 1, WIM
- Week 3 – Renunciation/what is samsara? wk2, WIM
- Week 4 – Compassion, TLOB
- Week 5 – The supreme good heart (Bodhichitta)
- Week 6 – The true nature of reality (emptiness)
- Week 7 – A general recap of the course encouraging the children to find deep happiness through daily meditation.
The Buddhist way of loving kindness (based on the book ‘Eight Steps to Happiness’)
- Week 1 – Introduction
- Week 2 – The story of Geshe Langri Tangpa.
- Week 3 – Preliminary practices ie setting up a shrine
- Week 4 – Learning to cherish others; the kindness of others
- Week 5 – Learning to cherish others; the benefits of cherishing others
- Week 6 – Enhancing cherishing love wk 1
- Week 7 – Enhancing cherishing love wk 2
- Week 8 – Exchanging self with others
- Week 9 – Great compassion
- Week 10 – Wishing love
- Week 11 – Accepting defeat and offering the victory
- Week 12 – Taking and giving wk 1
- Week 13 – Taking and giving wk 2
- Week 14 – The precious mind of Bodhichitta
- Week 15 – Ultimate Bodhichitta
- Week 16 – Conclusion: How to integrate the practice of these instructions
Please note: the above curriculum is subject to adjustment according to the needs and capacity of the children attending the classes.